Job Title: Management & Programme Liaison Officer
Company: Aga Khan Foundation
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Application Deadline: 2021-08-15
The Management & Programme Liaison Officer (MPLO) role was created to support the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) Diplomatic Representative (‘Representative”) and under whose direction the MPLO will work to advance the objectives of the AKDN.
The MPLO’s role in Tanzania will include managing the AKDN office in Dar-es-Salaam, coordinating certain activities of the various countrywide AKDN Agencies, preparing related analysis and reports, as well as liaising with external and internal stakeholders.
The AKDN Office in Dar-es-Salaam (the “Office”) is comprised of the Representative for Tanzania, the MPLO and supporting staff. The MPLO’s duties include:
1. Manage all aspects of the financial, operational and administrative functions of the Office in accordance with the policies. Where appropriate, review and update key policies and processes as required.
2. Oversee the relationships with, and reporting requirements for, the relevant government offices in Tanzania.
3. Prepare and manage an annual budget, with monthly cash flow statements and regular reports for the Office.
4. Manage logistics and protocol arrangements in relation to events pertaining to the Office. This may also include the organisation of internal meetings and events.
Assessment and Knowledge Management
5. Keep abreast of current events and trends in the region and provide analysis and recommendations.
6. Prepare briefing materials, and key documentation to support meetings and events that represent the work of the AKDN Agencies in Tanzania or where appropriate the East African Community.
Representation and Relationship Management
7. Support the Office in the management and building of key relationships, which may include participation in events, conferences and diplomatic functions.
8. Support the Office in the design and implementation of the of the communication strategy of the AKDN’s programme interests to the external audience, as well as key stakeholders and partners.
9. Support the Office in the facilitation of internal AKDN inter-agency synergies and collaborative initiatives.
10. Coordinate the Office’s key liaisons with the Government as per the MoUs and Protocol.
The ideal candidate should have the following profile:
1. ; A keen appreciation of the objectives and ethical underpinnings of the AKDN including a strong interest in international development and the developing world, along with a high degree of cultural sensitivity.
2. A preference for an advanced degree or professional qualification. Excellent English communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written, including the ability to write business proposals and prepare presentations. A strong preference for the candidate to speak Kiswahili. For non-Kiswahili speakers, it is expected that the candidate is willing to undergo training to speak the Kiswahili language in the short-medium term.
3. Strong project management and financial management skills; including experience with budgets.
4. A self-starter, able to work in unstructured situations with minimal supervision. Good judgement and experience of situations involving a degree of sensitivity and confidentiality.
5. Strong inter-personal skills and an ability to work effectively at all levels with teams in a supervisory capacity and with a wide range of stakeholders, with a collaborative and collegial style, and the ability to influence through reason and common sense.
6. Capable of working in a lean staffing environment with demonstrated ability to work under sustained pressure, manage competing priorities and deliver to tight deadlines.
The position is based in Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania.
Job Title: Admin Assistant
Office Premises Cleaning
- Maintain and ensure all internal and external environment are clean and well maintained.
- Prepare and serve hot and cold beverages to staff and visitors as required.
- Ensure that water of use in the building is always available and in case of shortage report for delivery to be made.
- Identify potential safety or maintenance issues and communicate them to the supervisor.
- Ensure the office is locked and secured after office hours.
Reception /Administration Roles
- Work as the executive assistant to Project Manager.
- Checking inventory levels and ordering new supplies in addition to keeping the records updated.
- Physical check incoming goods against purchase orders/invoices and issue GRNs; Returning damaged goods to vendors.
- Coordinate maintenance of office equipment’s
- Organizing business travels, itineraries and accommodation for staffs and ensure all payments are initiated in timely manner.
- Attend to all incoming and outgoing mails
- Maintain electronic and hard copy filing system including retrieving documents from filing system and handle requests for information and data.
- Managing the generator and ensuring that it has enough fuel and switched on when there is electricity break down.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor (s)
- Certificate or Diploma level with at least two years’ experience as an Administrative Assistant, virtual assistant or office admin assistant.
- Knowledge of office management systems and procedures
- Working knowledge of office equipment, like printers and fax machines
- Proficiency in MS Office (MS Excel and MS PowerPoint, in particular)
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task
- Additional qualification as an administrative assistant or Secretary will be a plus
- Strong accountability, inter-personal skills and working collaboratively with the internal project team and non-project partners.
- Excellent communication skills in English and Swahili language, Strong team player, creative and problem-solving skill.
- Commitment to safeguarding Policies and guidelines
Job Title: Programme Director
The Programme Director provides technical and strategic leadership of MECP in Zanzibar and is responsible for upholding MECP’s mission and values across all MECP programmes, staff members, and communications. The Programme Director is responsible for effective management and leadership of MECP in Zanzibar. The Programme Director will lead on and be the custodian of MECP’s technical strategy and ensure all programmes are designed and delivered in a manner that enables MECP to achieve its strategic goals. The Programme Director will be responsible for quality assurance across all areas of the organisation including programme implementation, financial management, Human Resource management, and reporting
Strategic Leadership: In collaboration with the National Board, AKF, MECP staff, and diverse MECP partners and stakeholders, ensure MECP-Z’s technical programme strategy is evidence-based, meets the need of children and communities in Zanzibar, and is aligned to the broader Regional strategic framework:
Programme Quality: Coordinate processes and the team to ensure Programme Quality with all projects being delivered on time, on budget, and with quality. This will include, but not limited to.
Organisational Management and Growth: Ensure internal organisational and staff capacity development and lead, in collaboration with AKF, on developing new business development opportunities:
Partnerships and Representation: Ensure MECP develops and maintains high-quality relationships with diverse partners (including funding, government, and technical) and community members as well as represent MECP in national and international fora:
Internal and External communications: Ensure MECP is effectively communicating internally (including through AKF’s newly established ICT enabled communication platforms) and externally to maintain MECP’s organisational profile, technical influence, and to grow MECP’s image
Diversity, Inclusion, and safeguarding: Ensure MECP’s pluralistic values are demonstrated internally, externally, and all programming in respectful and inclusive of people from diverse backgrounds including, but not limited to, socio-economic status, religion, ethnicity, culture, gender, age, and disability. Committed to acting ethically and upholding safeguarding standards towards all staff, volunteers, and beneficiaries of the organisation.
- Minimum Master’s degree or equivalent in Development, Education, ECD or related field
- Minimum four years senior management experience
- Experience in management, leadership and mentoring staff with willingness to visit programmes in the field
- Experience developing relationships with government and development partners to generate income and influence policy and practice
- Excellent communication skills, able to make strong presentations and produce high quality written reports
- Experience of working across geographical, organisation boundaries, cultures & diverse stakeholders.
- Strategic Thinking and Communication
- Creativity and Innovation
- Influence and Negotiation