About BRAC EnterprisesTanzania Limited (BETL)
BRAC is one of the largest providers of non-formal education in the world. We have been running schools in Bangladesh for 30+ years and internationally since 2002. BRAC currently operates a global pre-primary school program in Bangladesh, Tanzania and Uganda, and we are developing markets for early childhood development (ECD) for 3-5-year-olds in the same countries through our ‘Play Labs’ project. In Tanzania, this includes the operation of 30 play labs co-located with the Tanzanian Government and funded through theYidan Prize.
BRAC Enterprises Tanzania Limited (BETL) is a registered private company in Tanzania. Working as a social enterprise, BETL is currently piloting a cross-subsidy business model for ECD to improve the development of 3-5-year-old children in Tanzania. Through this project, BRAC aims to catalyze the ECD private sector in Tanzania by developing a sustainable business model for the provision of low-cost, high quality and scalable play-based ECD. The BETL team recently opened the project’s first school and is currently in the process of opening five additional schools for the new academic year, and one mobile ECD center.
About the Position
BETL wishes to hire a full-time Senior Advisor, Operations for 6 months from December, 2021-May, 2022, with the potential for extension beyond this time frame, subject to project funding. The Senior Advisor, Operations will lead the BETL team during the start-up phase and early implementation of the 2022 schools, building the capacity of the BETL team to manage the schools going forward. The Senior Advisor is expected to have significant experience with for-profit enterprises and successfully managing a team while building their long-term capacity, and must be able to work in a very entrepreneurial, self-driving and adaptive environment. Experience with start-ups, social enterprises, and the education sector in Tanzania is strongly preferred.
Human Resource Management and Development
- Lead the BETL project team (comprising 4 full-time staff) and oversee their delivery of project milestones and management of school-level staff
- Support recruitment and hiring of school-level staff including teachers and support staff
- Build the capacity of BETL project staff to manage the project independently
Operations, Management and Resource Mobilization
- Lead management of all BETL schools, including establishment of (5) new schools and (1) mobile ECD center by January 2022 (start-up activities already in progress)
- Ensure BETL is in compliance with all regulatory requirements
- Lead the identification, development and implementation of standard operating procedures, as needed
- Review and guide project activities based on budget compliance
- Lead all project reporting and communications, including to BRAC management, the BETL Board of Directors and project donors
- Support the identification and development of new funding proposals in close coordination with other BRAC staff .
Process Evaluation and Iteration
- Lead the documentation of lessons learned, challenges, and best practices coming out of the start-up and early implementation phase
- Support BETL team with refining the business model based on feedback and experiences gained from the start-up and early implementation phase
- Over 5 years of working experience managing a for-profit business and serving as a manager.
- Previous experience with the education sector in Tanzania and running a social enterprise and/or start-up strongly preferred.
- A clear understanding of operating a business in compliance with Tanzania state laws, business ethics, and other regulatory requirements, with specific experience in the Tanzania education sector preferred.
- Ability to lead strategic planning, financial analysis, market assessments, and program design processes.
- Strong understanding of business modeling and international development program design preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to be a team player and to work independently and with initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues in ‘remote’ and diverse teams.
- Highly organized, strategic thinker with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Ability to perform under pressure, adapt quickly and prioritize with multiple competing demands.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, high-performing, entrepreneurial environment.
Qualified firms and individuals should channel their CV and proposals (including fee) of no more than five pages, with key references to firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for applications is Wednesday, 8th December 2021.