You will be expected to align to the Barrick DNA and to operate within our mining assets with our best people teams. You will contribute in a safe and cost-effective manner to achieve targets in accordance with Mine Safety Standards, Policies and Procedures and ensure daily targets are met.
About North Mara
The North Mara gold mine is located in north-west Tanzania in the Tarime district of the Mara region. It is around 100 kilometers east of Lake Victoria and 20 kilometers south of the Kenyan border.
North Mara started commercial production in 2002. The mine is a combined open pit and underground operation from two deposits, Gokona (underground) and Nyabirama (open pit).
- Ensure that systems and programs in place promote employee compliance with operating standards and safe work procedures.
- Actively participate in and promote health, safety, and environment initiatives, aligned with the company’s overall business strategy
- Create a working environment that ensures that subordinate employees gain new skills and achieve their full potential by developing and implementing effective training and mentoring/coaching programmes.
- Effective management of Drill & Blast activities in North Mara Gold Mine and outside the mining area in accordance with Barrick safety, quality and environmental policies and standard procedures from operational point of view.
- Effective management of the drill fleet to ensure a high level of efficiency and productivity is achieved.
- Participate in the development of work schedules to ensure Drill & Blast activities and requirements are achieved within the desired work schedules and budgeted targets.
- Participate in the development, implementation and reporting of Drill & Blast continuous improvement and KPI initiatives.
- Preparation of drill plans and charge plans for production and pre-split operations at Nth Mara Open Cast mine.
- Progress tracking plans in line with schedule
- Monitoring the quality of blasting and optimizing requirements for operational activities.
- Assist with preparation of budgets and forecasts of explosives and drilling consumables
- Identify opportunities to optimize drill and blast activities that result in business improvements
- Monitor and review drill and blast parameters with a view on fragmentation, digability, cost.
- Contribute to mine planning, provide feedback on pattern performance, and mine plan process, and keep records of associated documents.
- Development and implementation of weekly drill and blast schedules to meet monthly targets
- Monitor blast performance with particular emphasis on controlling of fragmentation, over breaks and under breaks.
- Provide technical expertise and liaison with explosives supplier to resolve product quality issues and manage explosive product stock levels.
- Collaborate to provide technical support to ensure Drill and Blast activities and plans are timely, reliable, and realistic.
- Ensure there are proper allocations of the drill rigs by delivering the required results as per the existing budget.
- Collaborate to provide technical analysis of drill and blast activities with the aim of improving optimization.
- Prepare weekly and monthly Drilling and Blasting reports for EOM reporting to Mining Engineers for reconciliation.
- Ensure that QA/QC sheets are being done and recorded prior to the blasting activities.
- Provide the Mining Manager with advice/ initiatives that seek to reduce costs in drilling and blasting activities.
- Ensure deployment of drilling rigs to the correct working locations to achieve optimal broken stocks for the load and haul operations.
- Manage consumables (Hammers, Bits, rods, etc) and control stocks in conjunction with Sandvik VMI.
- Ensure that standby for RDT is “Zero” and Delays related to RDT change out are minimized to the World Industry standards.
- Review Drillers log sheets, shift reports, Pre-start check lists, Incidents and Accidents reports to ensure that they are correct and to the standard.
- In conjunction with Maintenance, coordinate Drilling Rigs services, maintenance and fueling to ensure that equipment is in good working condition.
- Liaise with the Explosives Contractor Blasting Engineer, Production Engineer and Production Geologist to ensure that blast movements are optimal to minimize ore loss and dilution.
- Ensure that Drilling and Blasting operation is carried out in accordance to plan, procedure and that shared responsibilities with the Explosives Company are complied with
- Any other duties that may be assigned to fulfill the overall business objective
- Ensuring blasting operations are carried out as per Regulations and mine procedures
- Ensuring that employees have been trained and are competent for the tasks they are performing.
- Secondary School/ Vocational Training. Mining Engineering degree highly regarded.
- Having a valid blasting certificate as per Tanzania regulations and or act(s).
- Mine Overseers/Captain Certificate of Competency or the equivalent will be an added advantage.
Experience And Competencies Needed
- Minimum of 5 years in large open pit hard rock mining with at least three years recent experience in drilling industry.
- Experience and knowledge on DTH and RC Drilling operations; Drilling planning ;Drill Rigs selection and performance
- Experience in coordinating and managing a sizable drill fleet in tough working conditions
- Experience as a Drill & Blast coordinator in underground environment
- A tertiary qualification in related field is highly desirable
What We Can Offer You
- A comprehensive compensation package including bonuses and site-specific benefits
- The ability to make a difference and lasting impact
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
- Opportunities to grow and learn with the industry colleagues are endless
- Access to a variety of career opportunities across the organization
How To Apply
- Applicants are invited to submit their CV’s/Resume’s online
- Rename your CV in this format CV – YOUR FULL NAME
- Indicating the role title “ Drill and Blast Supervisor ” in the subject of your email
- Send your application via e-mail to: email@example.com
Please forward applications before: 31st May, 2022.
We are committed to a safe work environment sending every person home safe and healthy every day and leaving a sustainable legacy on our host communities.
Thank you for your application, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.