Job Title: Accountant
Company: Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange PLC
Application Deadline: 2023-10-13
The Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange PLC (DSE) was established in 1996 as a company limited by guarantee without share capital. In June 2015, it changed to a public company limited by shares and in July 2016 it was self-listed.
The principal activity of the DSE is, among others, to provide a platform for trading of listed securities and facilitate companies to raise capital via issuance of shares and bonds.
To enhance its governance and operational efficiency, DSE is looking for an ambitious, highly motivated candidate with integrity and experience to fill the position of Accountant and thus, inviting applications from suitable qualified candidates. Further details of the position are highlighted below.
The Accountant will be mainly responsible for ensuring accuracy of accounting records so as to prepare timely and accurate financial statements or records relevant to audits and financial reviews as well as their compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
Required Academic Qualifications, Experience, Skills & Competencies:
- Holder of Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or equivalent
- Certified Public Accountant – CPA (T) or equivalent qualification
- Must be registered with NBAA as Approved Accountant
- Securities Markets Certification Program will be an added advantage
- Minimum of five years relevant working experience
- Computer literate
- Strategic thinking
- Stock Exchange knowledge
- Analytical skills
- Finance administration skills
- Commitment to results
- Business savvy
- Excellent spoken and written English and Kiswahili language
- Interpersonal Skills with both internal and external stakeholders primarily while implementing the Company’s strategy. Relationships require sound communication skills and both discretion and judgment.
- Make payments to the suppliers, service providers and staff
- Reconcile suspense accounts
- Prepare and process purchase orders, invoices, cheque requests, manual cheques and contract payments
- Ensure purchase orders, receiving and invoices are matched Review purchasing and accounts payable transactions
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with standard practices
- Prepare accounting schedules and statements
- Maintain ledgers, journals, cash books and other accounting records
- Reconcile control accounts with subsidiary ledgers
- Prepare trial balances
- Carry out revenue accounting reconciliation
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliation
- Handle creditors payment and reconciliation
- Facilitate the auditing of the DSE PLC books of accounts by both the internal and external auditors; ensure ownership of the audit exercise by work closely with both internal and external auditors, providing required information on time and ensure the exercise is completed within agreed time.
- Ensure all DSE Group assets have been accurately recorded within the fixed assets register and the register is updated regularly by timely remove all disposed assets from the register, timely entry of newly acquired specific assets within the register and provide accurate report of fixed assets whenever required to do so.
- Ensure that all payments and disbursements are made in accordance with DSE PLC Financial
- Management of Accounts receivables; ensure weekly follow up of all outstanding receivables to clients with the target of having 95% collections efficiency every month
- Preparation of DSE and CSDR monthly reports for FM review and before sharing to the management
- Preparation of DSE , CSDR and Fidelity Fund quarterly reports for FM review before sharing to the committee
- Reconciliation of Balance sheet accounts i.e. Prepayment , Receivables and Payables accounts every month and ensure the amortizations of prepayment is being passed in the system and suspense accounts contains zero balance at the end of the month/year.
- Preparation of VAT monthly returns for both DSE and CSDR and ensure payment is made before 15th of every month.
- Preparation and payment of City service Levy quarterly and ensure payment is made before 15th of every month.
- Work closely with tax consultant and responds to TRA queries regarding the examinations of returns of DSE and CSDR whenever there is TRA desktop audit.
- Submit to TRA on monthly basis the Adjustment Notes for all credit notes passed in the system, for the TRA/DSE/CSDR records and for easily reconciliation with TRA at the end of the year as required by the law.
- Review of Petty cash batches and confirmation to Finance Manager for payment authorization.
- Controls staff debtors and loan accounts
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by supervisor
- Competitive remuneration package will be offered.
Mode of Application
The vacancy is available under “Career” at DSE’s website: www.dse.co.tz
Only online applications will be accepted via DSE’s website: dse.co.tz
Applicants MUST register on the Job Portal and apply for the job providing all the required information. Failure to do so, will result in an incomplete application.
DSE is an equal opportunity employer. The deadline for submitting the application is 13th October, 2023.