INTERNAL & EXTERNAL ADVERT
Reports To: Major Capital Projects – Finance Lead
Kilombero Sugar Company Limited (KSCL) is the largest producer of sugar in the country operating cohesively with Illovo Distillers Tanzania Limited (IDTL) and a member of Illovo Sugar Africa Limited (Africa’s largest sugar producer).
Currently, KSCL is undertaking an expansion project that was publicly announced on 18 May 2021. The project is expected to increase KSCL’s sugar production by 144,000 tons from current levels of around 127,000 tons of sugar per annum to 271,000 tons through the building of a new modern 420 tons cane/ hour factory.
The Company now invites applicants who are self-motivated, self –driven, honest, hardworking and committed individuals to fill above mentioned position at Kilombero.
To attend to all tax matters (direct and indirect tax) of KSCL specifically related to the expansion project with the relevant stakeholders such as the Tanzania Revenue Authority (TRA), Tanzania Investment Centre (TIC), Custom Clearing Agents, Project Contractors and other relevant project stakeholders within and outside the Company and other assigned projects related to KSCL’s day to day business operations.
Duties and Accountabilities:
1. Ensure all payments made to external parties such as vendors/contractors in relation to the expansion project are compliant with the project milestones and to verify the completeness of invoices and supporting documents in accordance with the applicable tax laws.
2. Working closely with the Clearing agents in reviewing the imported goods supporting documents to ensure the correctness of declarations made by Clearing Agent in terms of the correct Harmonised System (HS codes) and Customs Procedure Codes (CPC) of the project imported capital and other goods as well as verification of the completeness of the imported goods supporting documents.
3. Ensure all taxes related to imported items of the expansion projects are calculated accurately in accordance with the applicable tax laws and the tax due are paid in time.
Directors : A.R. Mpungwe (Chairman), G.H. Williams (Managing Director), G.B.
Dalgleish, S.N. Hulilu, M.A. Nyasama, N. Saayman, D.N. Kasambala
4. Timely lodge applications with TRA on behalf of KSCL for the applicable tax “exemptions/reliefs” available in relation to the expansion project such as the VAT deferment of applicable capital items, import duty exemptions on deemed capital goods etc.
5. Proactively following up with TRA on the applications lodged such that the same are obtained in time prior to arrival of the goods that qualify for the above mentioned tax exemptions/reliefs.
6. Report to management and the project leadership on the tax implications ( direct tax and indirect tax implications) arising from transactions related to the execution of the project including tax issues associated with the project that may place the company at tax risk resulting in penalties and interest.
7. Ensuring adequate controls are in place to retain documentation related to the expansion project in accordance with the document retention stipulated in the tax laws and KSCL’s document retention policy.
8. Liaise with TRA and other external stakeholders on any tax administrative matters relating to the expansion project.
9. Follow up for any VAT refunds with TRA on any tax overpayments where applicable.
10. Work closely with the rest of the finance expansion project team members and members of the KSCL’s finance department in execution of the day to day business operations to ensure that necessary tax considerations/scrutiny are made in each stage of the execution of the project.
11. Attend to tax matters/queries related to the expansion project from internal/external audits and other relevant stakeholders.
12. Provide support to KSCL Tax and Finance teams on assigned projects/tasks or special projects related to day to day business operations.
13. Liaise with tax authorities during tax audits and ensure all information requirements and responses of the queries from tax authorities are provided timeously.
14. Liaise with tax consultants/legal tax advisors on tax matters related to expansion project.
15. Arrange annual tax presentation to keep senior management informed of latest tax developments that are relevant to the business as a result of the expansion project.
16. Perform any other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor
JOB QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accountancy / Business Administration / Equivalent.
- ACCA / CPA (T) / Equivalent.
- A registered tax consultant with TRA will be added advantage.
- Not less than 5 years relevant working experience
- Practical experience of handling an expansion/ new project of a similar nature.
- Practical knowledge in dealing with customs clearance and importation process.
- Conversant with the Tanzania custom laws and procedures and all other tax laws applicable in Tanzania.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Excellent attention to details and well organized.
- Self-drive, self-motivation and agile communicator.
- Goal-orientated and committed to delivering quality results/outputs.
- Detailed process and strong analytical ability.
- Ability to prioritise, manage complexity and deal with multiple stakeholders.
- Flexibility to travel to site as and when required.
- Proactive – able to work without detailed supervision.
- Expertise in project management skills
- Excellent leadership and management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, internal and external.
- Independent and objective decisions maker.
- High level of integrity.
Terms of service: The successful candidate will be engaged on Contract basis (two years).
All interested candidates, who meet the above requirements should click here to applfor the position before 27th January, 2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
KSCL is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people with disability are highly encouraged to apply.